Today the focus is on restoring energy and nourishing the body after your heart-pumping AquaCycling class. You’ve burned hundreds of calories while pushing those muscles through the water, now let’s recuperate.
Gluten-free diets are all over the news. Initially intended for those with celiac disease, these diets have caught on with a much larger population simply because of the tremendous health benefits.
First, a little background: gluten-free means excluding wheat, barley, rye, and oats from your diet. These ingredients are generally known to leave you feeling bloated and fatigued, and can even compromise regular digestive activity. The simplest way to think of gluten and its effects is that it expands like glue (hence its name) throughout your intestines. You can imagine why doctors and dietitians recommend staying away from it…
After exercise, the body needs refueling, but choosing the right fuel will maximize the benefits. Rehydrating with water is key – and calorie-free – during class and afterwards. We’ve come up with a simple post-workout snack and a protein smoothie, and you can enjoy whichever you prefer. The ingredients have all been carefully chosen, keeping in mind a balance of healthy fats, omega-3’s, and complex carbs, which are all necessary for prime recovery post-workout.
Our go-to snack is healthy, simple, and delicious: Meet the poached egg and avocado toast.
*FYI, poaching eggs is the leanest way to cook them.
For this snack, you’ll need:
- 2 Poached eggs
- 1 Whole Avocado
- 2 Pieces of Gluten Free Toast (Udi’s is a great brand, found in many grocery stores)
- A pinch of salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, oregano (or any other herbs of preference)
Poaching the egg might seem intimidating, but it is absurdly simple.
- Just heat up a small pot of water and bring it to a boil.
- Then grab a spoon and start stirring the water creating a little whirlpool, as you do this you’ll gently slide the egg in making sure it says whole (you can use your spoon to help push it together).
- Leave the egg in the boiling water about four minutes and voila! Poached egg. Now gently remove it from the pot with your spoon and place it on a plate.
- Repeat above steps with second egg.
- Next, toast your gluten free bread.
- Take the ripe avocado, scoop it out, and mash it with a fork.
- When the toast is finished, spread the avocado atop evenly, and place the egg directly in the center.
- Cut a small slit in the egg letting the yolk drip on the toast.
- Lastly, sprinkle the salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and herbs throughout.
Now time to enjoy!
Having trouble poaching the egg? Watch this quick how-to video.
If you prefer a drinkable post-workout snack, try our protein-filled pumpkin spice smoothie.
For this smoothie, you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup of pumpkin (canned or fresh)
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 2 frozen bananas (if unfrozen add one cup of ice)
- 2 dates
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- A pinch of cloves, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg
*If you’re feeling like you need an extra kick of protein, you can also add 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
Now toss all the ingredients into the blender, cover, blend and you’re all set! This delicious pumpkin smoothie will not only make you feel like you’re sitting between autumn leaves, but will boost your energy with protein and help rebuild the muscle post-workout.
Post-workout recovery is an extremely important element to fitness, allowing the body to properly regenerate, leading to long-lasting, positive results. You gave it your all in that intense hour of AquaCycling… don’t let it go to waste!
Aqua Wellness World LLC.
New York Office
16 Roosevelt Avenue,
Larchmont, NY 10538
St Barts, French West Indies.